Moto G4 Play is the budget offering from Motorola in the Moto G4 series which was launched few years ago. The other smartphones in the Moto G4 series were the Moto G4 and Moto G4 Plus. As far as the Moto G4 Play is concerned, it was launched as a lite version of the Moto G4.
In the software department, Moto G4 Play runs Android Marshmallow out of the box. Also, the device got updated to Android Nougat last year. However, that is the end of story for Moto G4 Play as ever since then the device has not been updated.
Now, we would like to tell you that there is no point in waiting for the Moto G4 Play official Android Oreo update. This is because even the Moto G5S Plus which was launched an year ago has not received the official Android Oreo update.
But, you can still get Android Oreo on your device that is the Moto G4 Play right now. This is thanks to the AICP ROM which will install Android 8.1 Oreo on your device. Now, you will need to install this ROM on your device with the help of flashing. For instruction on how to install this ROM, you can read the entire process from below
- First of all, be aware that it is very important to take an entire backup of your smartphone before installation of ROM. Thus, we would strongly recommend you to take a backup as well.
- Also, it is necessary that you charge your device to at least 50% or more so that there are no problems during the installation process.
- It is also necessary that your device is unlocked and you should have custom recovery installed. We recommend TWRP recovery to be installed on your device. If you have not installed custom recovery then do not proceed with the installation
- AICP 13.1 for Moto G4 Play
- Open GApps for Android 8.1 Oreo
Steps to install AICP 13.1 based on Android 8.1 Oreo for Moto G4 Play
- Ensure that you have read and understood the Prerequisites steps properly.
- Once you have completed all the Prerequisites steps, we can proceed with the installation process.
- Now, you need to go to the Downloads section above and download both the files attached above on your PC or smartphone.
- If you have downloaded this files on your PC, transfer them to your smartphone’s internal storage via a USB Cable.
- Once the files are transferred, you have to boot your smartphone into TWRP recovery.
- To go to the TWRP recovery, switch off your phone and press Power + Volume Down button for 3-5 seconds.
- Once you have entered TWRP, you need to go to TWRP’s Install section. Here, select the AICP 13.1 zip file that you downloaded from above.
- After that, click on the zip file and swipe right to flash the file. You need to do this same process for the Open GApps zip file as well.
- Once you see that the zip files have been flashed, reboot into system on your Moto G4 Play.
- Now, your smartphone will be running Android 8.1 Oreo based on AICP 13.1 ROM